Friday 18 July 2008

Facebook-ing

"Based on a popular social networking site, the term "facebooking" has emerged as a verb to describe the activity of logging in to Facebook in order to create a profile, share personal information, and meet other members...." -- netlingo (www.netling.com)

I would simply call it as an 'addiction'.

It began during last semester break, after the exams were over. Naturally, a couple of my friends and I had made plans to celebrate our so called 'freedom' and would reward ourselves by going for a mini-break to Kuala Selangor to see the "kelip-kelip". Unfortunately, due to some 'oversight' on the finances department, our planned trip to the homestay did not materialize. We all ended up 'staying at home' instead, confining ourselves to our own rooftops, forcing ourselves to discover our creative sides and fulfilling our time with activities which preferably, does not include much spending.

I took this opportunity to check on my long, and much neglected personal email account. You know what they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder. In my case, my heart skipped a beat when I saw the number of unread emails that I had only to realise after that most of them were only spam mails (and there I was thinking that it could be mails from my fan club, sigh...). As I did some maintenance work cleaning up the account, I found a few invitations from friends to join Facebook (hereafter known as "FB"), all dating back as late as October 2007. I have heard of this new phenomenon, from other friends and advertisements on the television, but I have yet to try it out for myself. Looking at that moment, as I had some time on my hands, feet and brain capacity to use, I told myself then, "Sure, why not?".

And I have been hooked eversince.

I find myself going crazy over the many applications that FB offers. There are quizzes to take (most of them are more ridiculous then another, but still fun to take though), games to play and you can even listen to music online. There is even a application called Flog Blog that links FB to your existing blog so that everyone in your list is notified whenever your blog is updated. Also, one could send pets, plants, beautiful roses, teddy bears, starbucks coffee, donuts, chocolates and ice-creams, birthday cakes, versace goods, coach handbags, even sexy 'dudes' as gifts to their friends and it is all for FREE!! WooHHooo!! I like, definitely!!!

Look, you can call me a cheapskate if you want, but hey, it is the thought that matters, right? ;)

However my most favourite activity is re-discovering "old" friends. Former work colleagues, my housemates during my overseas days, friends from uni, college, high school, tuition, the "mafia square" pasar malam gangs and even the "play-badminton-at-gina's-house-to-see- abang-uitm" gangs. And through the "6 degrees of separation" theory, I even found my old primary school girlfriends whom I last saw them 17 years ago. To my pleasure, they all remembered me still. Well, actually most of them remembered me as "Siti" the girl who liked to draw a lot, but who cares? All that matters is that they remember and that they did not mistaken me for a crazy nutcase who wants to add every tom, dick and harry as their friends in FB!!!

Seeing all of them here, makes me proud to know that I have had the pleasure of being in their company once upon a time. To see all of us grown up and have been successful in many ways in our life made me realize just how far I have come from whenst I came. The journeys I made. The people I have met. The good times. The bad times. The memories.

I say, Kudos FB!!! Without it, I may never have found all of them again.

The girls from both primary and secondary school are planning for a re-union. I do think that I may have to re-look at my diet plan again. Thank god Ramadhan is coming. Need some 'trimming' here and there, if you know what I mean ;).

No comments: