Thursday 22 January 2009

The Curious Case of ....

Today I defied all odds and faced one of my many greatest fears (that besides swimming in shark infested waters and of flying cockroaches).


Today, I went to see ... the DENTIST.

It is most certainly no laughing matter I tell you. Well, not to me, at least. I have always felt a little bit apprehensive about going to the dentist ever since I was a little girl. The idea of being at one's mercy ( I call it as "serah diri" in Malay) - with your jaws open under the brilliant white light and the sound of the instrument "whirrring" in the background certainly has caused me some sleepless nights. I was only able to control my "hyper-imagination" only when I was about 10-11 years old, when I began to understand the importance of dental hygiene.

But then, all were lost in the year 1996, when Hollywood came up with one of the their greatest horror film of all time. It starred Corbin Bernsen who was famous for his role as Arnold Becker on the one top series during the late 80's - L.A Law.

Have you ever watched The Dentist? The movie was inspired by the real-life story of the serial killer dentist, Glennon Engleman (1928-1999). This movie bagged several awards for their special effects and let me tell you, there is a reason why they won it in the first place. Safe to say that "thanks" to the writers who came up with the movie plot and to the creative team who successfully brought to life the sheer terror from paper to the screen, my life has never been the same again. And my teeth too, for that matter.

However today, after more then a decade, and as part of my many new years resolution , I have decided that in order for me to conquer my fears, I shall need to face them. And I am kicking off this year with resolution No. 299 -that is to see the dentist (and also for the fact that I have to get treatment for my sensitive gums which makes eating my favourite Peanut Butter Chocolate ice-cream a real chore!!!).

It was a spur of the moment thing. My friend from work wanted to see the dentist to seek treatment for his aching tooth and I decided to tag along to give him the moral support that he needs. Truth be told, I can be in denial sometimes as for the fact that at the end of the day, I was the one who was in great need of moral support!!

I told the doctor's assistant that I wanted to do 'scaling' - a routine dental cleaning procedure of removing plaque and tartar from all tooth surfaces. When my name was called and the doctor appeared at the the door with her white lab coat and the surgical mask on, I started to develop heart palpitations and thought that I would get into cardiac arrest any minute then. It doesn't really help that I could see the famous 'dental chair' with the lights and surgical tray behind her being prep by the doctor's assistant. My palms were sweaty and cold sweat started to develop over my forehead and above my dry, chapped lips. Only when the good doctor pulled down her mask and gave me a gentle smile did I realise that she has been calling my name a couple of times now, with me standing rooted on the same spot - frozen in place. I then took a deep breath, gave my head a quick shake and walked towards the doctor, while chanting to myself, "I am macho" over and over again. The power of mind control, or so I've heard. You are what you think you are.


Uhuh, yeah right.



I thought I had my fears under control. I walked, no - 'glided' towards the doctor with a calm look on my face. As she ushered me into the room, the doctor casually asked, " Is this your first time?" to which I confirmed her inquiry. I then asked her how did she came by to this conclusion to which she smiled and gave a gentle reply, " It's quite obvious dear". Only when I came out from the treatment room did my friend told me that instead of 'gliding' smoothly towards the doctor, which I really thought I did, the fact was that I resembled more of a person who was suffering from 'constipation' with my feet dragging across the floor - looking like I was heading towards my doom. My friend had in fact, at one point contemplated to himself on whether to push me all the way to the room or drag me by the arm as I was moving far too slow for his liking.

To give credit when it is due, the doctor was EXTREMELY patient with me. She was in her early forties and had this distinctive 'maternal' aura about her. Very motherly indeed. There was something about this doctor that just calms me. She was informative indeed and told me what she will be doing to me and what to expect before she starts with the scaling procedure. And all the while, throughout the process, above the sound of the instruments, the only words I hear repeated by the good doctor was "Buka ya..." (Open please). Apparently throughout the exercise, I kept attempting to close my mouth over her hands making the task of scaling my teeth very daunting for her. At one point I think I almost bit her little finger off as well. Thank god she had the patience of a saint, or else to quote Alicia Silverstone from the movie Clueless, I am " just a law suit waiting to happen"!!

All and all it took her only 20 minutes to get my teeth and gums all cleaned up. She later prescribed me some medications to treat my sensitive gums and advised me to change my tooth paste as well that would be more suitable for me .


Doctor : Oh yes, one more thing. Not only your tooth paste but I would advise you to change your tooth brush as well.

Me : Why doctor?

Doctor : Well you see, rahang you 'dalam' (you have a deep jaw), so you tak boleh pakai berus gigi yang biasa untuk orang dewasa(you cannot use the normal tooth brush for adults). It is too big and you won't be able to reach the teeth at the back.

Me : Oh, if that is the case, berus gigi apa saya kena pakai? ( What toothbrush I should use then?)

Doctor : I suggest you pakai berus gigi budak-budak (I suggest you use children's tooth brush). Its smaller and more suitable for you.

Me : Uiikk????!!!



Aren't I suppose to grow older? Bigger? Shouldn't I be flocking with the birds of the same feathers? I am now reverted back to my childhood - well for my teeth at least. Is there anything else that I need to revert back as well? Or am I just another "Curious Case of Benjamin Button"??.

Aisseeyymaannn, and here I thought I am already approaching my 'expiration date' with the big THREE-OWHH this year. But apparently, deep down inside, well in this case, deep inside my jaw, I am still a toys-r-us kid afterall!!!! =)



"I don't wanna grow up, I'm a toys- r-us kid,
There's a million toys at toys-r-us that i can play with
From bikes and planes to video games
I just wanna be a toys r us kid ... "
-- Toys R Us 80's tv commercial song





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha..the dentist huh..guess what..i have never been to the dentist..so far my teeth are ok but the results from crunching ice everyday are starting to show..-.-..anyways bravo to u george!!u make me proud..mhmmm..:))

najjiwawa

Anonymous said...

aritu aku bwk ika jumpa dentist.... memula tuh dia excited la sgt2. sebelum lalat bangun (eh lalat bangun kul bape ekkk...), pagi2 lg dia jd alarm clock kejut aku x sabar2 nk gi jmpa dentist.

sampai jer kt clinic, dah ika start hujan airmata... meraung bagai nk rak la pastu...

long story short... aku pegang tangan dia, sorang pegang kaki, sorang lg pegang kepala... then only the doctor can do her part la

hmm... kalau budak kecik pun kena 4 org pegang, rase2 kalau aku yg tua ni kena bape org ek....?

p/s: u not alone darling... when the day comes... tolong la teman aku jumpa dentist

Lea

Anonymous said...

hei noreane.....aku pun takut gak dgn dentist :-) takut kene cabut gigi....coz gigi belakang aku yg empat tu ha, wisdom tooth tu ha tak kluar2.....eille

niza said...

hi bebeh...

i just found ur blog..
blablablabla...i have so many things to say..

miss yuhh sommuch...

p/s: u noe me? lol

Anonymous said...

baru ku tau ruper nyer kawan aku takut pi dentist...well better than kena enjet!!! huhuuu...Jina

Anonymous said...

hahahhaa...jojin...alto we hv reached the three-owwhh...still we r young at heart....huhu....