Monday 9 July 2007

My Lady 'D'

Dianne finally joined our "young wives" club on 07.07.07, five years after I tied the knot myself on 02.02.02. She looked beautiful with her delicately sewn nikah dress and the beautiful flowers in her hair. But what fascinated me most was the fact that she was almost too 'quiet' that night, which believe me, is not a word that you would associate with our little Lady 'D' here :). Dianne is most definitely neither a demure nor a shy person. On the contrary, she sometimes reminded me of "bertih jagung" (popcorn). She loves to chat and would constantly have something to talk about everything from family, friends up to the latest gossip. However, the best thing I love about Dianne is her naivety. Despite her 6 years of living and her 'happening' lifestyle in London, deep down inside she is still the same innocent and sometimes "lurus bendul" (naive) person that I have known since I was 16 years old.

Dianne, to me, in other words, is just like a breath of fresh air in the midst of this modern and chaotic world.

That night my Dianne was as quiet as a mouse. Occasionally I see her looking down at her 'inai' tipped fingers and taking long deep breaths. I know what was going on through her mind at that time. I myself have been in the same shoes just five years ago. The feeling itself is quite indescribable. Not exactly as stressful as getting ready for a driving test. Nor is it as exciting as waiting at the cinema for the new movie that you have been anticipating to start. The term " butterfly in your stomach" does not seem to describe the feelings that you have at that accurately. Instead of the light flutter of the wings of the butterfly fanning the inside lining of your stomach, what you have instead is the heavy tramping of the Godzilla creating chaos with your internal digestive system.

After some final touches to her makeup and putting on her jewellery, Dianne is finally ready for her nikah ceremony. Gina and myself went downstairs to wait with her relatives for the groom to arrive. Before leaving I looked back at Dianne and saw her again looking down at her fingers, perhaps thinking of her future - which will change in less then 20 minutes time. I prayed for her silently - so that god will give her the strength and the wisdom to undertake this new role in her life; to be the beautiful, smart and wonderful wife that any husband would be proud of.

" My dearest Dianne,

Congratulations on your wedding, my friend. May you and your husband receive the blessings from Allah SWT and live a prosperous and wonderful life for many years to come.

Amin.
"

*p/s : More pictures at My Fotopages

No comments: