Monday 13 August 2007

The Promise

Last week I finally managed to spare some time to make a very much overdue visit to see the lovely and adorable baby 'Ash' (leave it to me to 'orang-putihkan' the baby's name. Note to the very proud parents - jangan marah ahhh ;p). After the numerous 'janji-janji kosong' of meeting up and the many cancelled appointments, I finally secured an evening off and took the opportunity to visit Ina & Mir at their lovely crib in Bukit Jalil. This time I took my small little 'entourage' with me, consisting of Patti, Nana & Nino, since hubby is away AGAIN in the eastern cost of peninsular Malaysia in the name of, what else, work of course. After work on Friday eve, I made a quick stop at Bukit Jelutong to pick up the ladies and made a dash for the kesas highway as to avoid the ugly traffic jam over at the Puchong area. Safe to say, my aunts now have very, very high regards over those people commuting in and out of Kuala Lumpur in their cars. The 'pesta lampu merah' over at the Kinrara route to Bukit Jalil really opened up their eyes to the possibility of the existence of life 'outside' the safe haven of Shah Alam town.

I once made a promise to Mir that I would cook for him again when time permits me and I guess Mir has decided to claim for the said promise. Furthermore, I needed to make it up to Ina & Mir for not being able to attend to baby Ash's 'cukur jambul' ceremony a couple of weeks ago in Ipoh due to my commitments. So, there I was that evening, with entourage - ever so ready to bring down the house with my signature dish - what else, PASTA of course!!




Spicy Seafood Spaghetti

Ingredients:

Prawns and Squid ( cleaned ) – you may substitute for chicken meat if you want to.
Olive oil - 4 spoonful Spagetthi (500 gm) - 1 packet
Processed chili (cili boh/mesin) – 1 spoonful (add more if you want it hotter!)
Garlic (crushed with the back of the knife) - 3 cloves
Large Onion (roughly sliced) - 1 pc
Ginger (peeled and sliced) - 1/2 inch
Bird's Eye Chili (cili padi - sliced in two)- 7 pcs
Vietnamese Mint Leaves (daun kesom) - 5-7 pieces
Kaffir Lime leaves (daun limau purut, roughly torn) - 3 pcs
Ripe Tomatoes ( roughly chopped ) - 3 pcs
Baby corn (sliced) - 4 pcs
Snow peas (ends taken off) - 7 pcs
Red Capsicum (sliced thinly) - 1 pc
Carrot (sliced) - 1 pc
Straw mushroom (sliced in half) – 1 can
Oyster Sauce -1 tablespoon
Sweet Soya Sauce - 3 spoonful
Light Soya Sauce - 2 spoonful
A dash of pepper & mixed herb


Method:

1. Prepare the spaghetti as per instruction on packet(boil with a little bit of oil and salt until a la dante).
2. In a large hot wok (kuali), heat up the oil.
3. Add in garlic, onion, ginger, cili padi and fry until fragrant (or onions turn transparent).
4. Add in daun kesom and daun limau purut).
5. Next, add in cili boh and the seafood, followed by the chopped tomatoes.
6. Add in the vegetables – baby corn, snow peas and capsicum. Lastly the mushroom.
7. Then came the sauces – oyster, sweet and light soya.
8. Add in the spaghetti. Mixed it up well.
9. Serve it hot with a dash of pepper and mixed herb.

*Note : If its lacking sweetness or saltiness, just add in a bit more sweet or light soya sauce. End result, there should be a harmonious mix of sweet and spicy with a lttle of 'zing' from the Vietnamese mint leaves.

I asked Mir to buy a bottle of sparkling red grape juice, just to get us in the ' Italian' mood (yelah, since we cannot consume alcohol kan, asalkan botol die nampak macam wine pun jadik la). I cannot very well tell you if the dinner was a huge success or whether the pasta turn out to be everyone's cup of tea, or not. What would anyone think of me then if I were to rate my own cooking? Sungguh tidak professional betul.

Instead, I shall let the pictures speak for themselves ;p..hehehehehhe





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, thanks to ur 'sparkling grape juice', I nearly came out of my chair drinking it! But anyway, thanks dear for the lovely dinner, my mom and dad-in-law says thanks too, we had it after u went back...:-)
P/s: Allo, I bought the grape juice lah...not Munir, marahlah ni, penat aku diri depan rack kat supermarket tuh reading every label there was, I am now aware of all the brands of sparkling juices in the world...*hmmphh...

TY23 said...

alamak.. misslah the italian do. next time eh?